« Home | Hope in the Middle east Media » | I have recieved several comments, some nice , some... » | The Truth Be Told » | Proven Systems » | They Call it Architecture » | Gentle into the Night » | More Anti America from our southern Friends » | Illigal Crime not just Hispanic Problem » | A Must Read » | Amnesty? » 

Sunday, April 17, 2005 

Water and Athletics

Does anyone remember back in high school you were at practice sweating like a stuck pig. Then the coach said water break. You chugged down all the water you could, only to puke it up a few seconds later. Well I do , and its common actually. Unfortunately it is not good for you. The coach would tell you to rinse your mouth out with the first few sips then take little sips to drink. Why? It was to prevent you from puking and doing yourself harm.
I'll never forget a day of training at Subic Bay Naval base in the Philippines. I was so hot and thirsty, me and the boys headed to the club for something to eat. The ice tea was cold and sweet. I downed a couple pitchers as fast as I could. The next thing I was running for the head and puking it back up. Why, because I took in more then I needed.
The same principle with horses, you let them cool down some before watering them. Recently a study done on marathon runners showed that they dilute body minerals and salt with to much water. This can kill a person. Go to Fox news and check out their health page for more on this study.
I've spent a lot of time working outside in my life, being very active. Well as active as I can, from laying asphalt to heavy equipment, and my time in the Marines. I have found that on occasions putting a little salt in a glass of water made me feel a hundred times better then drowning my innards with water. Granted doctors no longer recommend salt tablets (basically this is what I was doing by adding salt to water... A salt tablet) but they do say drink a sports drink. What is in a sports drink....Salt, and electrolytes. Things you sweat out during physical activity.
So the next time you get real thirsty from working or playing, be careful on the indulgence of lots of water.

About me

  • I'm Devious Mind
  • From Denver, Colorado, United States
  • Good judgemnt comes from experiance. Experiance comes from bad judgement. Karma, its a bitch.
My profile
Powered by Blogger